Wednesday, June 11, 2008
A piece of my heart
I had a realization this morning. Kind of strange, kind of not. I realized that I had given my friend a piece of my heart. I guess this only seems weird as we haven't known each other that long, but then again we don't have long on this earth. I think of that often. How fast life seems to pass me by. Hours are suddenly days that are suddenly weeks. It's June already. I can't believe it. I was looking an email from school and it says I have a deadline of July 1st. No problem I thought - oh wait, that's like soon! Drat. And old people are always telling you to enjoy whatever stage you're in now because before you know it, it's gone. I started grad school last month. As I sat in my 1st class of the Spring semester I realized that I had not been in school, taken a test or gotten a grade in five years! What?!? I don't even know where to begin to tell you how quickly the last five years went. So, in lieu of all this, I'm trying to connect most deeply and quickly as I know how, trying to savor each moment I have here. (Not just on earth, but in A2.) Of course there is danger in connecting too quickly . . . that is when you've given someone a piece of your heart, but they aren't aware of it. Then what? Well I guess it makes sense that you would tell them, but of course that is very vulnerable. But then again, so is giving away a piece of your heart. I've been thinking about the verse Proverbs 4:23, "Above all else, guard your heart for it is the wellspring of life." I'm not sure why He created us this way, with our heart being our life. But it's true. Relationship with fellow humans and especially fellow brothers and sister in Christ are something that can encourage, and heal me or seem to totally destroy me. So I'm guess I'm still working through that, but in the meantime, I will continue to share my heart with those around me in hopes of them entrusting me with a piece of theirs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Absolutely beautifully written! I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve. I appreciate someone like you very much. Someone I know I can trust. When I met you, I instantly had that feeling about you. Now that I have read some of your thoughts I know we could become great and close friends and give eachother pieces of our hearts.
Post a Comment