Thursday, June 12, 2008

I'm a Seminarian

I have been pondering this title this week. A seminary student. Yes that's me now; a part of who I am. As I have been working through some things this week it seems in some ways things don't add up. My past, my present. But then again, Jesus doesn't call us a "new creation" for nothing. When I tell people I'm going to seminary, their eyes get wide and they raise their eyebrows while saying, "oh . . ." followed by a variety of remarks from: that's nice, how exciting, I would've never guessed. I don't really know what to do with the latter answer other than say, Yes Jesus works in mysterious ways.

I've almost completed my 1st semester as a seminarian. I've really enjoyed my classes so far and have been starting to think about what my practice will look like. My Marriage & Family Dynamics professor is always asking us what we will specialize in and until today I wasn't really sure. For that class we had to come up with a proposal for problem we see in the church. Being the over-achiever that I am ;) I chose Sexual Addiction in Women. A very interesting, yet under-rated topic in today's churches. My research today suggests that it's just as prevalent in women as it is in men, yet there are not many resources available for women seeking purity. After completing my project a moment ago I'm thinking that this could be an area I could specialize in. Just indeed - Christ works in mysterious ways.

No comments: