Friday, July 16, 2010

Inspections CAN be fun

I did not know that an inspection of anything could be fun, however, when you are buying a home, suddenly inspections are fun (among other things). We lasted through a 3-hr inspection today and Inspector Dan did not find anything wrong with the house. So that's super exciting! We learned all about our radiant heating floor system, air filtration system, humidastat, and keeping up on grading our yard as the basement continues to settle. The word I would use to describe my current feeling on being a homeowner would be "inadequate." Mainly because I haven't the slightest clue how to do most things beyond changing a light bulb. I've never mowed a lawn, let alone fertilized or landscaped one. I haven't had to research garage door installation companies, or remember to get my furnace cleaned. So all of this will be a new experience for me (and us).

Per usual, Dr. Laid-back is unphased by all the things that come along with being a homeowner which is helpful for me. It's certainly keeping me from getting overwhelmed and to stay excited. I also called a friend and professional organizer to come for a consult on Monday. I'm excited to her what she has to say about how to organize our home before we move all our stuff in. I would like to create a good system so that I don't become a hoarder. My current purging plan consists of moving every year or two, but that will now be obsolete...at least for the foreseeable future. We're also thinking about hiring a professional landscape architect I know from Sailing Club. (Sailing Club is where all the good connections are made.) Dan mapped out what we have now for us and gave his thoughts about the garden placement. I asked a Botany Professor friend from Kvul to ID our trees for us. So all of that is very exciting as well as how smoothly it's all coming together!

No comments: