Thursday, April 24, 2014

Maintenance-free Clutter-free Living

So, after getting all excited about riding my child around in his new kid bike trailer, S points out that I have no brake pads, (like less than none), I can't change gears and I have one flat tire. Huh.

S, "When was the last time you did maintenance on your bike?"
Me, "What do you mean? I didn't think bikes needed maintenance. You just get them out of the garage and ride them and put them back, right?
(At the bike store). Bike guy holding my brake pad, "What bike were these on?!"
S, "That's not a good sign."

So, two trips back to my local bike shop, Tree Fort Tires, and I was on the road again. S raised the seat for me and my legs still don't extend like they should. S pointed out that this bike has a smaller frame than a standard woman's bike. In truth, I believe my parents bought this bike for me for my 10th birthday which was in 1990... yes I still have my childhood bike. And it's still in pristine condition (well, after some maintenance). For the record, I still use the dressers and trunk my grandmother bought me when I was three, making them 30-years-old and still in great shape! I still wear clothes from high school (only 15-years-ago). Among other things... Hmm, I guess I shouldn't be surprised by the amount of clutter I have in this house considering I obviously keep everything and keep it in good condition....

The thing about keeping things in good condition means that they do require some amount of maintenance. I've spent my entire life taking care of my stuff. Everything we have, we have to care for. Those knick-knacks on the shelf need dusted. The modes of transportation need maintenance. The yard, the house, you name it. It all needs up-keep. So the more we get rid of, the less we have to care for. Here's to more decluttering!

No comments: