Saturday, January 03, 2009

Reflections on 2008

It's the beginning of 2009 and it doesn't seem possible. I'm realizing a lot has happened in the last year and have decided it's worth archiving. The year began with over a foot of snow in our new hometown and state of Ann Arbor, MI. We quickly began to like to the city, but dislike the weather. We found lots to do, and plenty of places to eat. The church search started off slowly, but we were settled by the end of Feb at Knox. We began serving right away and got involved in a small group, and I joined 2 womens Bible studies and a prayer group. The southern hospitality was severely lacking and we began taking great pangs to bring some of that to the great white north.

We started making some good friends and were traveling all over the place. First I went to Lafayette to help a friend with their new baby while Shaun went to Houston. Then he went to Berkeley, then I went to Lakeland, then he went to Nashville. Aug was a big with both of us going to Glen Lake and Italy. Then we met up with friends in Chicago, then I went to Lynchburg while Shaun was in Germany. Then we went to Lafayette for my great uncle's funeral. (Where I realized I hadn't mourned the loss of my great aunt who died the month prior...) Then we went to Knoxville and then back to Lafayette and Indy and back again. Whew.

Meanwhile, our old friends from Purdue, along with some new ones joined us in the Mitten. God began to do mighty works in all our lives and our small group grew closer. I had more epiphanies this year than ever before. I shared my testimony twice and have been asked to share it at a womens event in Feb at Knox. I started grad school at a Seminary and finally felt for the 1st time, maybe ever, that I had real purpose and didn't want to die. I also started appreciating how great we had it in Knoxville, and how times like that don't always come as easily.

It was a great year. God taught me so many things I hope I can remember them. I have started compiling and typing out the epiphanies so hopefully that will help. The theme for 2008 was, "Get out of your comfort zone." I think I fulfilled this one to the max!

No comments: