
Well I've been a mother for 116 days now. I have to say that it's changed me mostly in ways I would've never dreamed of. Let's start with the fact that getting up at 7:30am isn't impossible. Yes, you read that correctly... I manage to be a somewhat functioning adult now as the sun is rising. I still wouldn't classify myself as a morning person since this new morning routine also includes hubby bringing me the deluxe breakfast tray to bed. (which includes coffee, oatmeal, bottle for G, & an extra bib.) It's caused me to become even worse at math than I was before (apparently that WAS possible). This meant that instead of planting a smaller garden this year, I ended up with 72 plants... oh, those plants come in a FOUR pack?! Oops. And I've had a surprisingly increased amount of time to read. Because my activity options are limited when I'm lying flat on my back with a baby on my chest. (Who knew something so tiny could immobilize an otherwise active adult?)
As a result I read the book,
Shiny Objects: Why We Spend Money We Don't Have in Search of Happiness We Can't Buy by James Roberts. Let's just say, I was quite convicted about reading this. The book is full of quizzes that test things like your contentment, impulsivity, self-control, materialism, and conflicting values. I scored horribly on nearly all the quizzes except recognizing product placements and actors used for them. (Shocker I know.) G was about two months old at this point and I decided I must change, lest he become just another consumer. Towards the end of the book, Roberts mentions "The Voluntary Simplicity Movement" and "The comPACT" which you can learn more about here. I got inspired and decided to do it - off the record. His motto is to barter, borrow, or buy used. I learned that homebrew is an excellent bartering tool for babysitting, helping with weeding and retractable clotheslines It's been much easier than I imagined, but that lead into the newest endeavor in my life.
 |
| Made from an old pickle barrel |
I've also turned into a bit of sustainability nut, afterall, the garden is already planted, the clothesline is already up, I switched to the cup nearly 3yrs ago and I've been using my free stash of cloth diapers! I've become more diligent about unplugging everything and turning off power strips. (Hubby has agreed as long as I call them energy vampires.) I've really had to get creative when it comes to acquire needed things for a new baby in the house. I've been better about walking places I need to go or consolidating my stops. (Can't take the bike trailer until G is 1yr old.) We've been researching CSAs for the last several years, but decided we are ready to join. My mom got me a rain barrel for my 1st Mother's Day (which is from the county - a used (upcycled) pickle barrel!) Then we bought another one off of a friend that wasn't using hers. I've decided to save the water when we empty it for winter for my seedlings I'll start in the late winter. I attended a home energy workshop and learned about rope caulk, which I've been applying all over the house. I use cloth wipes, for me. I've also drug the candles back out for evening dinners. I'm enjoying EC'g, which I thought I would find more cumbersome, than easier, but it's been convenient and I enjoy washing diapers less often.
 |
| Red Thai Chilis |
So am I more patient, loving, and kindhearted? Yeah, but I'm also just more conscious of all the ways our lifestyle will impact G - not just direct nurturing and parenting. And I already see myself becoming more grateful for all I have, not just Hubby & G.
 |
| Sweet Peppers |
 |
| Zucchini |
 |
| Jalapeno |
 |
| Tomatoes, Zucchini, Rhubarb, Cucumber & Raspberries |
 |
| Hot peppers |
No comments:
Post a Comment