Tuesday, October 19, 2004
The Name Change
So I've been battling the whole name change debate. Shaun is very much for me taking his name, to the point that he won't even discuss the subject or give me any reasons as to why this is so important to him. He thinks that I'm holding on the some random feminist ideal, and that I should just let it go. Beth and I took a poll at work to how people felt about the issue. Needless to say, that only made me feel worse. I mean I don't want to take it just because he wants me to and then regret it later. In fact, I would rather want to take it especially since he feels so strongly about it. I talked to Stef and she didn't really help either. So, I called my sister. She was by far the most helpful person on the topic so far. She brought up some very good points. Her thoughts were that he is giving me the gift of his name because poeple leave together and he refuses to marry her and not even give her the option of taking his name. Also, she liked the instant unity that is implied by having the same last name. If you have a different last name that you have to say that you are married, it's not implied. So, alas, I'm feeling better about the decision already.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment